The ukulele is a super inclusive and empowering instrument – you really can pick it up fast, teach yourself some basics, and be making your own music with as little investment as a few hours and $20. Right now, when words like “fascist” aren’t just something out of history but a word that people are using to describe our own governments… we’re hoping all those ukuleles out there can be little bombs of empowerment and hope.
We’ve collected these protest songs that we think are simple and accessible for ukulele players of all skill levels. We just got started and are adding new songs all the time.
Here’s the list of everything we have so far. If you play something and it doesn’t make sense, leave a comment on that song, will you? We like feedback!
- A Change Is Gonna ComeSam Cooke (skill level: intermediate, a few bar chords in there)
- Downpressor ManDownpressor Man – Peter Tosh (Skill level: beginner – just 2 chords!)
- If I Had A HammerPerte Seeger (Skill Level: Beginner, 4 chords)
- If I Was PresidentWyclef Jean (skill level: intermediate, less common chords and quick changes)
- Map of TasmaniaAmanda Palmer (skill level: baby beginner, 2 chords)
- Mississippi GoddamNina Simone (skill level: intermediate, some less common chords and quick changes)
- OhioCrosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Skill level: Beginner, 4 chords)
- Old Man TrumpWoody Guthrie, Ryan Harvey (skill level: beginner, some whacky rhythms in lyrics)
- Plane Wreck at Los Gatos (Deportee)Woody Guthrie (skill level: beginner)
- The Times They Are A-Changin’(Skill Level: Intermediate)
- This Land is Your LandWoody Guthrie (skill level: beginner)
- We Shall OvercomePete Seeger & Charles Tindley (skill level: beginner, some quick chord changes)
- What Are We Waiting On (2017 version)Woody Guthrie, lyrical update by Nat Quick (skill level:beginner, 3 basic chords)